Here is a pointillism painting I did of an Ominous Cloud over a country road. I started from a photo I took back in 2017. Then did a few practice exercises before starting the painting. I showed this painting in a Jurried Art show just a few weeks ago and it was accepted into the show.
Here is the photo I took back in 2017 when I was camping with my parents in a Cabin on the Long Sault Parkway.
I started with my rough drawings. The first one was a quick study in Pitt Pastels, where I just blocked in some shapes quickly.
The second version was in Coloured Pencils. Where I did more blending
Although I was quite satisfied with the watercolour version. I found I did not quite get the perspective right on the road. I used a few different greens, yellows, purples and browns. I really did find I got the gestures of the trees well.
I started the painting from a drawing. I then transferred it to the canvas by putting graphite on the back of the paper.
I then started painting. In this photo I am 4.5 hours into the painting. You can see the colours are starting to build up, and I actually have some dark values. But this is still very early in the painting, and you can see there are not too many colours yet.
The second photo of the painting was taken 10 hours into the painting process. You can see, I am starting to add some smaller dots, and more dimension to the trees and vegetation. I also added some more whites to the highlights of the clouds.
In the third photo of the painting, I added some more white back in to the background. I also worked on the highlights of the tree’s and added more layers to the weeds at the bottom. I also tried to make them look “weedier” by adding brown upward marks that make it look like reeds. I also worked on the lines in the road, and the guardrails. This photo was taken 14.5 Hours into the painting.
Here is the finished painting. I added some more saturated greens into the trees, and used some of my Tri Art mixing green which is extremely saturated to mix many shades of greens. I also worked some more on the weeds and really got the weedy look down pact. I also spent some more time on the clouds, in particular the bottoms of the clouds where I added more dimension.
Overall I am quite satisfied with this painting. One thing I found where I struggled with it was that I did not quite achieve the level of detail that I had hoped for. But maybe that is more to do with my choice of scene which is not overly detailed. This painting took a total of 22 hours which is quite quick for one of my pointillist pieces.